Monday, November 24, 2014

Toolbox

HEY HEY! YOU YOU!

How's it going!? Well if you are reading my posts in order then I know you have read the one that list a bunch of different strategies that you can use in your classroom to help you differentiate. Strategies can also be referred to as tools to use and in Fulfilling the Promise there is a BUNCH of different tools listed in the back of the book in the "toolbox" that can really be beneficial in teaching and differentiating students and their readiness levels.

In my management class I had a presentation on a tool called, "Anchor Activities." and in my differentiation class I had a presentation on a tool called, "Learning Contracts, and a tool that I just like and would love to try is called, "Cubing and Think Dots."

Let me go into more detail about each.

ANCHOR ACTIVITIES
At first I thought they were just another word for fast finishers. However, they actually go along with work that students have been working on within a unit so they are very well content based. Here are a couple pictures that help explain what they are. 





I know when my group presented to our management class, we talked about "Think-Tac-Toe" and how you can have students create a tic-tac-toe board that they can do when they finish their work. Once they get three in a row, they will receive a reward or incentive to try another three in a row. I think anchor activities are a great way for teachers to differentiate and for students to do fun extensions to their lessons and still be learning.

CUBING AND THINK DOTS
They are both designed to help students think about a topic or idea from a different learning perspective. They are easy to differentiate using readiness, interest, and learning profile. They also allow students some control and choice in some tasks and they promote thinking skills. 

When making think dots you can just use 3x5 cards to make it easier on you. 

 
Cubing statements that can be used are: Describe it, Compare it, Associate it, Analyze it, Apply it, and Justify it. Cubing and think dots are great because students are able to hear second opinions of their classmates.

LEARNING CONTRACTS
Learning contracts come in many different forms and they grand decisions and freedoms for the students based on their readiness and interests. They are an agreement between the teacher, who will guide and provide support, and the student who will agree to complete tasks they have chosen in an appropriately and timely manner. They are engaging and meaningful tasks that students can turn to when they have finished their regular assignment early or during independent work times. They also allow students to learn terms, concepts and skills at their own pace and for that reason they are a very valuable tool in a differentiated classroom. They are also a great way to manage time (and they work really well as an anchor activity).


Learning contracts can be done in groups or for the individual student. There are so many different types, but a few of my favorite are ticket contracts, colored contracts, and Winebrenners contracts. 

There are many more tools that I could write on but I just chose my top 3! I feel that by using tools in your classroom, it will help your classroom become a differentiated classroom and will definitely benefit the students in your class. 

I don't know if you noticed. BUT my font colors are red and green because...."It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Everywhere you go!!" .....I'm just feeling a little Christmas spirit and wanted to somehow incorporate it into the blog! :) 

Until next time....and MERRY CHRISTMAS! 

2 comments:

  1. I just love how you write with confidence and "authority" to tell us about differentiation strategies! Wow! You go, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there! I think that those 3 tools are some of my top favorite strategies too. I also really like graphic organizers! When we were given the topic of anchor activities for our presentation, I really had NO idea what they were! I thought they were just busy work assignments for fast finishers too. I really enjoyed learning about each of these tools because they will be very beneficial to use in our own classrooms someday! Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete