Friday, October 3, 2014

-Warning-
This
Post
Is
Long
:)

So the other day I was reading in Fulfilling the Promise and I came across some excuses that may come to mind when thinking about having to get-to-know a student and actually use differentiation. I'd like to list those here. After reading them, think about them for a second...

  • There are too many students.
  • The time is too short.
  • This is only one level of textbook in the class and one level of standards for all.
  • The room is too small.
  • The materials are lacking.
  • Kids don't come to us knowing how to be independent learners.
  • We were not trained or hired to be social workers or psychologists.
  • We don't know how to think about cultures different from our own.
  • We are already consumed by the job.
I don't know why, but I'm a little annoyed after reading those excuses. The last 4 did it for me! 

Isn't the #1 thing we want for our students is for them to become life-long learners? 
We can do that by getting to know them and shaping their lives for the better. We can do that by creating confidence and hope for them in the years to come. Students are important!  Teachers are important in helping students know that. Yes.....some might say it is the parents job. and it is. BUT, I honestly think that teachers as very nurturing just like a parent. I'm not saying you need to nurture your students blah, blah, blah. BUT...getting to know your students, letting your students know you care, creating a community where they feel safe, those are all ways that students will learn for themselves that they are important and they do matter to someone! 

rant over. 
moving on. 

The rest of this post will be dedicated to the 5 parts of the COG that we learned about in a previous post. I'll be focusing on the teacher response side of it. All the lovely quotes I'm going to type came from the wonderful book Fulfilling the Promise of the Differentiated Classroom so I might forget to use my quotations here and there, not on purpose I swear, but at least you know exactly where I'm getting my information from. 

In the chapter 3 of the book it mentioned The Response of Invitations and that a teachers demeanor, words and actions need to communicate the following to the students:
-I respect who you are as well as who you can become.
-I want to know you.
-You are unique and valuable.
-I believe in you.
-I have time for you.
-I learn when I listen to you.
-This place is yours too.
-We need you here.

Remember that the students are not just learning from you, but you are learning from them. Also, the classroom needs to be everyone's, not just the teachers. The students help make the rules. By letting students be part of the rule making it will help hold them accountable because they chose that rule.

The Response of Opportunity Providing opportunity for students is providing materials, tasks, applications, and problems that are rich with meaning, perfect for learning. Giving students an opportunity for ANYTHING really is a great learning tool.

The Response of Investment. For a teacher to communicate to a students that they are individually important makes it clear by doing this:
-I work hard to make this place work for you.
-I work to make this place reflect you.
-I enjoy thinking about what we do here.
-I love to find new paths to success.
-It is my job to help you succeed.
-I am your partner in growth.
-I will do what it takes to ensure you growth.

"Invested teachers have clear personal goals toward which they work steadily. Teachers who are invested in what they teach, who they teach, and where they teach, and the ideals for which they stand. Their messages come not simply from slogans on their classroom walls, but from living out their beliefs."

The Response of Persistence. The teacher needs to help students understand that the classroom is a place where persistence is a hallmark. To do that, a teacher must communicate the following to students:
-You're growing, but you're not finished growing. 
-When one route doesn't work, there are others we can find.
-Let's figure out what works best.
-There are no excuses here, but there is support.
-There is no finished line in learning.

"A teacher who genuinely believes in the possibilities of each individual is not easily discouraged. The persistent teacher doesn't not assume the student cannot learn, but rather assumes the student is not learning in the way he is currently being taught." 

"The Response of Reflection is important because effective teaching defies any set of 'rules of practice.' There is no formula for success." In the book it said that there will always be a problem and the teacher who believes in the dignity and worth of an individual will echo, "Failure is not an option." This is so true. Don't let your students fail. It should never be an option for them! 

A reflective teacher communicates the following:
-I watch you and listen to you carefully and systematically.
-I make sure to use what I learn to help you learn better.
-I try to see things through your eyes.
-I continually ask, "How is this partnership working?"
-I continually ask, "How can I make this better?"

One last thing that I read in this chapter and loved was this,        "Different is not a synonym for deficient!"

*If you have read this far, good for you! And it is your lucky day because I'm done! I'm off to bed. BYE!*


3 comments:

  1. Brina!!! Wow. That was a lot of information. Yes, long, but it was great! The excuses you mentioned were very shocking! The last four bothered me too! I liked how you mentioned that failure is NOT an option. It's sad that some teachers out there only teach for tests instead of teaching for the success of their students. We know better than that though so we'll be AWESOME teachers!! :) Great post girly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! I loved reading your comments! I feel some teachers are lazy and do not really want to do more than is asked of them. But....you are right. We know so much and we can imply what we know into our classrooms and all of our students will succeed and love learning! *fingers crossed!*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear your passion... I get excited for your future students!

    ReplyDelete